20 huhtikuuta 2012

Levon Helm (26.5. 1940 – 19.4. 2012)
R.I.P.

He was my bosom buddy friend to the end, one of the last true great spirits of my or any other generation. This is just so sad to talk about. I still can remember the first day I met him and the last day I saw him. We go back pretty far and had been through some trials together. I'm going to miss him, as I'm sure a whole lot of others will too. (Bob Dylan)
Another one ot the greatest musicians all-time is gone.
I had the great honour to meet Levon first time at his Midnight Rumble in Woodstock in 2007. I brought him a gift from Finland; a KUKSA - wooden cup made out of birch with his name engraved. Levon was thrilled about this and he invited me backstage (read: to his kitchen ) and we sat there and talked.
Three years later we went to record our next CD in his awesome studio and he was happy to see us recording there.
His dog Muddy was with us in the studio and he came once in a while to talk with us to see how our recordingsession was proceeding.
What a nice man he was with a warm and a great heart for music and what a drummer he was. He was truly the best.. Rest in Peace. (Robban Hagnäs, Wentus Blues Band)